Video Poker machines first appeared in Las Vegas casinos in the 1970s, and have proven to be a timeless favorite amongst players worldwide.
The concept of video poker is very simple. Players usualy play one or more hands of 5 card draw poker on a machine and if you draw what is considered a winning hand – you win!
Beginners should learn the standard poker hand values before trying to understand video poker.
As with most very popular games, many variants of video poker have ben developed over the years. Some variations introduce jokers or wild cards, and some involve playing many games or lines at once. Jacks or Better seems to be the most popular, with any hand containing a pair of Jacks or better winning a prize.
Video Poker Basic Strategy
When played to perfect strategy, some video poker machines/games can actually give odds very slightly in the players’ favour – certainly a rarity amongst casino games! The first step of good video poker strategy is to choose a good machine. You should look for machines that pay out 800-1 for a Royal Flush and 6-1 for a flush. (many only pay 5-1)
This strategy is for playing Jacks or Better machines. The options below are ranked from 1 (best hand) to 17 (worst hand). You should look at your hand, see where it posibly fits on the list, and then chase the highest option. Remember that your hand could fit more than one of these scenarios, so make sure you chase the higher option.
- Four of a kind, straight flush, royal flush – no cards
- 4 of a royal flush – draw 1 card
- straight, flush, full house – no cards
- Three of a kind – draw 2 cards
- 4 of a straight flush – draw 1 card
- Two pair – draw 1 card
- High pair (AKQJ) – draw 3 cards
- 3 of a royal flush – draw 2 cards
- 4 suited – draw 1 card
- Low pair – draw 3 cards
- open straight draw – draw 1 card
- 2 suited high cards (AKQJ) – draw 3 cards
- 3 of a straight flush – draw 2 cards
- 2 unsuited high cards (AKQJ) – draw 3 cards
- Suited 10/J, 10/Q, or 10/K – draw 3 cards
- One high card (AKQJ) – draw four cards
- Nothing – Draw another 5 cards
Random Poker.com Fact
All slot machines in Australia are commonly called ‘Poker Machines’ or ‘Pokies’ because the original slots that punters fell in love with were all video poker machines!